Sunday, November 2, 2008

Me, I'm fine. Part I

I belong to a very small congregation, and pretty much everyone knows everyone else. I taught Sunday School for years and know all of the kids, at least those who were kids in the past 12 years. Yesterday, as in every Saturday morning Shabbat (Sabbath) services we say a misheberach, prayer for healing of body and spirit for those who are not well. Usually the prayer is said and names are mentioned, and then members of the congregation add anyone who was not on the misheberach list. Last week the Rabbi spoke about Frank, and as soon as he said his name everyone became very attentive because we knew it would not be good.

Frank is a Marine, he has not been a marine for very long and recently he was sent to Iraq. I saw his mother right before he left. I have known others who served in Iraq, but I had never seen the face of a mother whose child was going into war. Heartbreaking. Now we learned that Frank had been shot, but he is alive. He lost a kidney and his spleen. He was on a ventilator, sent to Germany and now is in a hospital stateside. He is off the ventilator now, his condition is stable and he will have a long recovery.

I saw Frank's mom right after it happened. She had the look of great worry on her face, but she said that the nurse held the phone up to his ear and when Frank heard his mother's voice he gave a "thumbs up." \She now is with Frank while he recovers. So, while I am praying for Frank's speedy and complete recovery, I think of his mom. And then I think of all the mom's who don't get a "thumbs up."

My daughter saw how worried I was and she asked me if I was okay. I looked at her, a healthy child who stands right in front of me, and I think of my son at college--where he is relatively safe and sound.

Me, I'm Fine.

No comments: